Monday, June 7, 2010

Potager Pathways

It is truly ironic that after posting about my BIG, HUGE pile of freshly chipped mulch that I fear I may actually not have enough! Well, I guess I have mulch everywhere and one place I started piling it on was in my potager. I became so tired of my lawn paths and edging and such around the beds, that I thought this might be an opportunity. Eventually, I would love to "pave" my potager with pavers - or brick or stone - or whatever new opportunity may come my way ... but for now, mulch works. Here's what I started with this spring ...


And here's my progress ...


I am using the same method as my "woodland edge" bed, but minus the overturned sod. I have read you should put seven layers of newspaper down but honestly, I didn't count. I just layered it on and then topped it with mulch. I have a few stubborn weeds sprouting here and there but the grass around my edges is dying and is easily pulled out now, roots and all. I figure it will take me the extent of this season to catch it all.


I redefined the flower bed along the fence. It has three distinct sections: wet prairie, sunflowers, and cottage/annuals (for pollinators). I will be sure to show you how it grows throughout the summer. I also added some new veggie beds. I figure throughout the years layering on compost in my veggie beds (that aren't raised), will eventually make them become mounded.


This is how it ended up this year. I now have a defined area for my potager. It feels much larger. I also feel as though I have "entered" the kitchen garden along my new potager pathways.

5 comments:

  1. It looks so great. I found when I put the mulch around the beds in my Kitchen Garden it made it more enjoyable to walk out to it, not so wet in the spring, a huge bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegetable garden is a test on patience and creativity, and having such a well defined bed is lovely and pamper any gardener's mood. Excellent! ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done! You'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! Looks like you even gained some growing space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw shucks, thank you guys. Deborah you are so far ahead of me! I wish I would have made all my beds with the mulch. And I do enjoy walking around my garden now so much more. Ha - I am already thinking of what more I can plant (and eat).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining me in my garden in the making!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis