The local dump was overwhelmed with fallen branches after the storms and I had a lot of wood to choose from - FREE wood. I tried to find four relatively tall and straight branches for the main structure of the arbor. I ended up with four cedar posts that someone dumped and two large, tall branches, as well as an assortment of other branches to use for the sides and roof.
|Free wood haul from local dump.|
|Tools and "reinforcement."|
|Sides bolted together.|
|Sides temporarily secured with bracing.|
|Cross branches and "joists" added to sides.|
|Roof under construction.|
I now have a grand entrance to my potager. It will also give this garden some presence over the winter. The shadows from the branches should look pretty across the snow.
You could probably finish this project in a weekend once you have gathered the wood. I took my time and worked on it here and there over the summer. Can't wait to grow Scarlet Runner Beans over this arbor next year!